I love this time of year. I look forward to it all year long. I plan for it, think about it, and get excited for it. And when it gets here, it never fails. I am always surprised at how fast it came.
I always try to be intentional about teaching my kids the meaning of the Christmas Season. This year we have made Nativity Scenes with graham crackers.
The kids brought candy canes to Target and passed them out to other kids, saying "Merry Christmas!" We have read the story of Jesus' birth, sung Christmas songs, made treats for friends. We played Secret Santa and dropped goodies off at friends' houses and sped away, hiding around the corner to watch them come to the front door. (THAT was FUN!)
All these things are great. But. Aaron and I are STILL struggling here. Our kids....are....spoiled....brats.
(sometimes)
I know we all feel that way at times. I know we were born that way (the whole fall of man thing and all...). I know I need to put it into perspective and step back here. My kids are great kids. They are! But there are times when I am so totally embarrassed by their behavior!
A few weeks ago, we found ourselves visiting an older woman who had a dog we were considering adopting. She had a big, beautiful house with lots of antique toys. The kids petted the dog for a few minutes and then became intrigued by her toys. They used their manners and politely asked if they may hold a doll. She said "Yes." and was amazed at how sweet and polite our little girls were. (I was too!) Then, as it was time to go, my kids have to ruin it all by asking if they can take something with them! WHAT?! We don't do that!!
Embarrassing.
This was better than our trip to church last weekend though! Journey had their Christmas Spectacular and our family got ALL dressed up to go!
I know, we look so happy!
This was on the way IN to church! It was great! They had a horse-drawn carriage pull up to our car and drove us up to the door. The kids were so excited! We were anticipating the show of singers and dancers. The kids were happy and in great moods.
It's amazing how quickly things change.
We were running a little late so we went right in and sat down. In the back. Where the kids could barely see. (Can you tell my story is taking a turn for the worse here?) They saw all the food in the lobby on the way in and although we stopped and grabbed them a few treats to munch on, they quickly gobbled those down and wanted more. (We had not eaten dinner at home because I knew they'd eat so much at church). So, the pestering began. I wanted to watch the show so I made them wait until it was over. That wasn't happening. Aaron ended up taking the younger two out to the lobby while I stayed in with Emily. Then our pastor came out to talk. (Oh, I didn't realize he was going to talk.) Emily got so antsy, baby was hungry....by the time it was over the kids were READY to do the fun stuff in the lobby!
Great. I'm ready to get up too! Let's get out there and decorate cookies, get our pictures taken, get more food....
The only problem was, it was CROWDED.
And LOUD.
I couldn't hear what they were saying so that made them upset. We struggled to stay close and not lose each other. I was carrying a 21 pound baby and my arm was about to fall OFF! We made our way to the cookie station and get cut-off by a friend who wants to say Hi to the kids. UGH. Ellie was asking for a "white thing." No one knew what that was so we just kept trying to move through the crowd while she cried and pouted. I'm sure she was thinking of throwing herself on the floor but realized she'd never make it up alive! We finally figure out that the "white thing" she wanted was a snow cone so we found her one and she began to cry because it wasn't mushy enough.
That's when we gave up.
We made a bee-line for the door and once outside my goal was just to get to the car before I exploded. I was so frustrated. I lectured the kids all the way home about the proper way to act in public. Once home, they went straight to bed. Then Aaron and I sat down and tried to figure out where we had gone wrong...
Geesh.
However, I feel the need to counter these embarrassing stories with one that makes me feel MUCH better about my children.
I gave each of my kids $10 today to spend on each other. My sister met me at Target to help me with this one. Each sister had to pick a gift out for her other two sisters. We talked about it ahead of time...what would you sisters like? What do you want to get your sisters? They had ideas in mind and they were EXCITED!
I am so proud of what they picked out. They really took the time to think about what each other really LIKES! They didn't just pick out things that they themselves wanted.
Emily picked out a high chair and baby bed for her little sisters (they LOVE playing with babies). Ellie picked out a little baby doll for her little sister and a tiny stuffed animal for her big sister. Catey needed a little more help (and has already 'spilled the beans') but she picked out a small dog for Emily (for her American Girl doll) and bath soaps/make-up stuff for Ellie. If you knew my girls, you'd agree, these are all PERFECT gifts for each of them!
Proud mama.
Thanks to my sister too!! Shopping with 4 kids is NOT easy!
So, I am hopeful. I think that the ONLY thing I can do is continue to teach them over and over. Repetition, repetition, repetition.
And by the time they are adults, they will be giving, loving, kind, and most important of all, Jesus-seeking, individuals.
You're an awesome mom, and you DO have great kids. I completely sympathize with you story! You have gotten around to doing way more than I have this season. Sounds like lots of fun!!
ReplyDelete